Upgang viaduct fell into disuse after 1958 when trains ceased running from Loftus to Whitby. Passenger numbers dwindled significantly after the war and the cost of maintaining the line, particularly the five poorly built viaducts, became prohibitive. They were at Staithes, Sandsend, East Row, Newholme Beck and Upgang.
The structure was 86 feet high at its furthest point from the ground and about 300 feet long. It contained approximately 200 tons of steel. Demolition of the pillars was made difficult because they were filled with concrete, an estimated 12 tons in each. The workmen had to cut through the concrete base of the pillars, and then pull them over.
All salvaged material was cut into 4ft.6in. by 2ft.6in. pieces before being despatched as scrap. It is thought a large proportion of it went into making sea defences.