This postcard from 1911 shows the aftermath of a fire at Ruswarp Mill. It was started by a bolt of lightning. The mill was built in 1752 for Nathanial Chomley, Lord of the Manor of Whitby, and has now been converted into a block of flats. The mill was water powered, a dam in the river provided the mill race. There had been a mill at Ruswarp since at least the time of the Domesday survey.